Betty Ann Blaine implore parents to better protect children
Hear the Children’s Cry calls for parents to better protect children
Founder of Hear the Children’s Cry Betty Ann Blaine is again calling on parents to be more responsible in the protection of their children.
The call comes in the wake of the deadly fire at Booby Drive, Olympic Way St. Andrew on the weekend, in which 3 toddlers died and 2 others have been hospitalized with severe burns.
Police say the mother of the children left them in the care of her eldest daughter, an 18 year old woman, but the 18 year old in turn left her younger siblings in the care of her 13 year old sister.
Ms. Blaine says the protection of children, in most cases, is not a government responsibility.
She says parents must ensure that their children are properly supervised.
Meantime, the 18 year old woman held in relation to a fatal fire at Booby Drive, Olympic Way St. Andrew on the weekend remains in custody.
The woman was interviewed yesterday.
Police say a file is being compiled for submission to the Director of Public Prosecution for consideration.
It’s reported that the woman could be charged for allegedly neglecting the children, who later died in the tragic fire.
Police say the woman is still receiving counseling, as she is still traumatised by the event which claimed the lives of her own twin boys and her younger sister.
Investigators have also interviewed and collected statements from other family members and residents of the community.
Those killed are one-year-old twin boys Juvaughne and Jivaughne Bennett, as well as three-year-old Krisante Maxwell, all of Booby Drive, Olympic Way.
Krisante’s twin sister and older brother remain at the intensive care unit of the Bustamante Hospital, suffering from severe burns.
Reports are that about 12:50 a.m. on January 27, six children were left in the care of an 18 year old woman, who reportedly left the five children in the care of her 13-year-old sibling.
It is alleged that because there was no electricity, the 13 year old lit a candle and the resulting fire engulfed two dwelling houses on the premises.